Archive for Thursday, December 1, 2005

Remember When

December 1, 2005

10 Years Ago

December 14, 1995

Winners in the annual Christmas decorating contest were: Bill and Charlene Shope, Bonner Springs; Mike Clouse, Edwardsville, residential and Art Barn, commercial. The contest was conducted by the Chamber of Commerce.

25 Years Ago

December 11, 1980

Brad Wheeler, Michael Wheeler and Matt Stucky were shown in a photograph visiting with Santa Claus during his visit to Bonner Springs.

The Bonner Springs High School FHA Chapter received the "Honor Chapter" designation. DeJuana Quillen was president of the unit.

The Rev. George Taylor was the new pastor at the First Christian Church of Bonner Springs.

Edwardsville held its annual posada-pinata celebration.

50 Years Ago

December 8, 1955

Robert Moore was the new master of the Bonner Springs Masonic Lodge. Other officers were: Cleve Bockover, senior ward; Hurchell Walker, junior warden; Bob Hendry, senior deacon; William Mason, junior deacon; Robert Walker, senior steward; Martin Wright, junior steward; C. H. Pumphrey, tyler; W.F. Rehm, treasurer; Ward Harrington, secretary and Roy Tinberg, trustee.

Earl Ellis opened a barber shop in Bonner Springs.

Thanks to the efforts of local businesses, Christmas lights were installed on Oak Street. The Modern Craftsmen Co. installed the lights and H. A. White headed the fund raising effort.

The Bonner Springs Rotary Club held its annual banquet to honor the Braves' football team. Paul Andree, athletic director and football coach at Ottawa University, was the featured speaker.

100 Years Ago

December 14, 1905

The Linwood State Bank reported that it had capital in the amount of $10,000. M.H. Howard was the cashier.

The Bonner Springs Masonic Lodge held its election of officers and A.M. Smith was the new master. S.B. Kenton was elected secretary.

Disease claimed the life of two Bonner Springs children. A five-year-old girl died of measles and an infant girl died of malaria.

Work was completed on the south half of the Union Pacific depot in Bonner Springs and it was opened to the public, agent Stout announced.

John McDanield, treasurer of Delaware Township, announced expenditures of $4,045.39 during the previous three months. J.C. Kindred was township trustee; A.M. Smith, clerk.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.