Tornado tower resurfaces
The Bonner Springs City Council reached a consensus Monday to enter into a development agreement to erect a 650-foot "Tornado Tower" near 110th and Riverview.
At its meeting Monday, the Council heard a presentation by Tom and Diane Overby and Norman Garr for a development proposal for the Kansas Landmark Tower Project. The three presented their vision of an entertainment and tourism attraction that would consist of a 650-foot tower shaped like an active tornado, 143,00 square feet of retail and entertainment, an IMAX theater and an amusement center.
The project is similar to one proposed in Edwardsville last year.
The council reached a consensus to go forward in negotiating a development agreement with the project's backers. Marcia Ashford, economic devolment director of the city, said the agreement would require the investors to pay the city's up-front costs for the project's land --75 acres south of Riverview and west of 110th Street -- to be made a redevelopment district, which is necessary to secure sales tax or other kinds of bond funding for the project.
In other actions Monday night, the council:
- Approved claim payments for city operations for Jan. 9, 2006.
- Approved Public Housing Authority Claims for Jan. 9, 2006.
- Approved the reappointment of Randy Reed on the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission, the appointment of Matthew Beets to fill Kristi Hoffine's position on the Parks and Recreation Commission, and the reappointment of Kevin McCosh on the Utility Advisory Committee.
- Approved mill levy contracts for the senior Center and Tiblow Transit Funding for 2006.
- Approved a resolution authorizing the transfer of industrial revenue bonds from IMCB MultiFoods to Best Brands, which merged with IMCB.
More like this story
- Suspect in homicide case takes authorities on vehicle chase that ends in Basehor
- Health Department workshop teaches health-related community planning
- Man who escaped from Kansas police custody found in Missouri
- Donation account created for toddler injured in lawnmower accident
- Lenexa man suspected of injuring kids, damaging cars