Edwardsville Council OKs $98,200 for 110th St. work
Moving forward with planned improvements to 110th Street, the Edwardsville City Council voted to commit $98,200 Monday to the cause.
The motion, which was approved, 4-0, with council member Craig Crider absent, is for the city’s 20 percent portion of the project as required by the Kansas Department of Transportation, which will be picking up the remaining 80 percent of the bill.
“We have to do this with each state project of which we participate financially, it’s an 80-20 program,” said City Administrator Michael Webb.
The project, which will include the grading and surfacing of 110th Street from Interstate 70 south to Riverview Avenue, recently went out to bid. The low bidder was Miles Excavating, Inc., a Basehor-based company, in the amount of $372,183.73.
Additional costs for local and state construction inspections and water for grading will bring the total estimated project cost to $490,571.
With Edwardsville’s $98,200 commitment, KDOT’s expense is estimated at $392,371.
“Our share estimate of $98,200 is much better than what (KDOT) sent me a month ago, which was about $200,000,” Webb said. “That never felt realistic. (The amount of $98,200) is more in line with plans the city engineer had done.”
Edwardsville’s portion of the project will come from the 2006 bond program. Webb said the city actually has $125,000 set aside for the project, taking into account the changes that often occur with construction projects.
Webb said the start date for the project under contract is for no later than Sept. 27. The contract also states the project will take 55 working days.
“If it starts immediately, it should be completed by year end,” Webb said.
As for traffic in the area during construction, Webb said there would be times when the whole area would be closed to traffic, besides allowing access for residents of homes along the street.
“We’ve looked at ways to have the road closed for less amounts of time, but there’s no way around it,” Webb said.
In other business, the council:
• Heard a presentation from associates with George Butler Associates Architects and Engineers regarding a regional transportation master plan near the Village West region of Wyandotte County.
The Kansas Department of Transportation and the Unified Government of Wyandotte County and Kansas City, Kan., sought the study as a way to produce an area-wide projection of expected development impacts and prepare roadway improvements that can be implemented in the Village West area. The study boundaries include Donahoo Road to the north, Kansas Avenue to the south, Kansas Highway 7 to the west and 78th Street to the east.
Paul Bertrand, vice president of GBA, said now was the perfect time for such a study as the Village West continues to see growth.
“It’s never going to get easier to fix problems then it is today. As all the development comes on line, it’s just going to be more difficult,” Bertrand said of the continued traffic congestion that will only increase as development continues.
GBA’s plan includes a priority list of recommended improvements. At the top spot is the State Avenue and Village West Parkway, at which GBA recommends making a single point interchange.
Other improvements to the intersections of Interstate 435 and Sate Avenue, State Avenue and 98th Street and I-435 and Parallel Parkway are also on the list.
For 110th Street, which runs north and south through Edwardsville, GBA recommended adding turn lanes and traffic signals to the street’s interchange at I-70.
• Approved, 4-0, minutes from the Aug. 23 meeting.
• Approved, 4-0, payment of bills totaling $272,988.14.
• Approved, 4-0, an ordinance for the adoption of the 2010 Standard Traffic Ordinance.
• Approved, 4-0, an ordinance for the adoption of the 2010 Uniform Public Offense Code.
More like this story
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Giving your 2 cents: Unified Government gathers comments on spending expected revenue increase
- Douglas County Fair returns July 24 with new theme, kiddie derby
- Brownback's new commerce secretary has unique past
- Wyandotte County's housing growth continues