Bonner resident gets life for molesting preteen
Leavenworth A Bonner Springs man has been sentenced to life in prison for sexually abusing a preteen four years ago in Lansing.
Stephen Michael Russell, 36, was sentenced Friday in Leavenworth County District Court.
Judge Gunnar Sundby ordered the prison sentence after a jury in March convicted Russell of aggravated criminal sodomy. The victim was 11 or 12 years old at the time of the sexual molestation, said Leavenworth County Attorney Todd Thompson. Russell sexually molested the boy between August 1, 2007, and October 2, 2007, in a Lansing residence. The victim, now 15, testified at the trial.
Russell resided in Lansing at the time of the molestation but then moved to Bonner Springs with relatives, where he resided at the time of the trial.
Russell had been free on bond pending sentencing, but at Friday’s hearing Sundby revoked the bond and remanded Russell to the custody of the Leavenworth County sheriff.
Sundby took under advisement a request by Russell’s attorney for an appeal bond.
More like this story
- Linwood man sentenced to life in prison for molesting child
- Linwood man, sentenced to life for child rape, gets stricter bond conditions
- Probation revoked for Lansing man convicted of child exploitation
- Tonganoxie man sentenced to 23 years for rape, indecent liberties with child
- State seeks prison time for ex-mayor