Archive for Thursday, September 22, 2011

Remember When

September 22, 2011

10 Years Ago — Sept. 20, 2001

Area residents united in support of victims of the 2001 terrorist attacks. Residents of Edwardsville’s nursing homes planned a fundraiser for victims. Basehor Elementary School raised more than $1,000 for a family of attack victims.

Basehor-Linwood won its first game of the season, defeating De Soto 49-27.

The Bonner Springs City Council gave final approval for construction of a new Walmart Super Center.

Robert “Butch” Foster was named “Man of the Year” by the Kansas and Nebraska Conference of the AME Churches.

25 Years Ago — Sept. 18, 1986

Harry Allison was named city planner for Bonner Springs.

The Bonner Springs City Council approved plans for a new donut shop to be built on Cedar Street.

Enrollment at Sacred Heart School totaled 96. This was a slight decrease from the 107 students the previous year.

Enrollment in the Basehor-Linwood School District totaled 1,110 students. Basehor School had 183 students.

50 Years Ago — Sept. 21, 1961

Bonner Springs High School was one of only 35 high schools to receive a “comprehensive” rating.

Mrs. Larry Gridley was elected president of the Pre-School Parents Club. Mrs. Robert Campbell was secretary. Mrs. Charles Weber and Mrs. W. Gene Cox were co-program chairmen.

Bonner Springs High School and Tonganoxie played to a 0-0 tie. Football fans were impressed by the new entrance to Lions Park.

Chuck roast was on sale at Brewer’s Grocery Store for 39 cents per pound. Popular brands of coffee were advertised for 59 cents per pound.

100 Years Ago

Manager Tyler said the Bonner Springs Grays would end the baseball season with a three-game weekend homestand.

A fire caused $150-worth of damage to the Riley Brothers Restaurant. When the blaze was discovered, attempts were made to contact the central telephone operator and to call out the fire department, but there was no response from the telephone operator. Marshall Milstead alerted the department by firing his gun in the air. Later it was discovered the telephone operator was asleep.

James A. Harl was master of the Masonic Lodge.

The James Gusham home in Basehor was struck by lightning, causing a small fire.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.