KCKCC debate ranked in top 5 among all colleges, universities
The Kansas City Kansas Community College debate team will head into the holiday break ranked No. 1 in two community college national polls and on the way to No. 4 in the rankings of all colleges and universities.
Coach Darren Elliott’s team ended the fall season with a pair of top three finishes in the Illinois states tournament. Compiling a 4-2 record in the preliminaries, the KCKCC duo of Ryan McFarland and Kristyn Russell defeated Johnson County Community College in the quarterfinals before losing in the semifinals to the eventual champion, the University of Michigan. Finishing third overall, both Russell and McFarland were Top 10 speakers.
Payton Cummings and Justin Parks were second overall in junior varsity competition. After a 5-1 record in preliminaries, they defeated Concordia College in the semifinals before losing in the finals. Cummings was second speaker overall and Parks fourth.
The team of Marin Loken and Alex Glanzman took fifth in the JV meet, compiling a 4-2 preliminary record before losing to Concordia in the quarterfinals.
Elliott said that as the semester ends, KCKCC is ranked No. 1 in the nation in both the Cross Examination Debate Association and National Debate Tournament national rankings, and once the Illinois state points are entered, KCKCC will be No. 4 among all colleges and universities in the nation.
More like this story
- Kansas City Connection: Record Store Day, Malcolm Gladwell and Third Thursday
- Kansas City Connection: The return of the Royals, and showtime for Middle of the Map
- Kansas City Connection: Banjos and beignets
- Kansas City Connection: Char Bar, Sleater-Kinney, Zubaz and giant Lego sculptures
- Kansas City Connection: Sorting through the hoopla of the Big 12 tournament