Library’s food drive offers fine amnesty, free books in book sale
November is “Fines Amnesty Month” at the Bonner Springs City Library.
The library will allow patrons to return lost items through the end of November without having to pay fines. Patrons who have fines for previous late returns also may bring in non-perishable food items; $1 will be forgiven from fines for each food item donated at the library.
The Friends of the Library also will have a Book Sale and Canned Food Drive from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 17. Those who donate a canned item may select a free book.
All food items will be donated to Vaughn-Trent Community Services. Accepted food items include:
• Non-perishable canned or boxed food items
• Canned fruit
• Canned vegetables – green beans, corn, peas, carrots, etc.
• Canned meats – tuna, chicken, Spam, etc.
• Canned pastas – ravioli, Spaghetti-O’s, mac-n-cheese, etc.
• Packaged pasta – spaghetti, elbow, penne, etc.
• Boxed pasta meals – Hamburger Helper, mac-n-cheese, etc.
• Canned soups and broth
Items will not be accepted if they have expired or have rusted or damaged packaging. Partial snack-pack items or items taken from original packaging also will not be accepted.