Proposed apartment complex takes next step
A proposed apartment complex that met with resistance from nearby homeowners last year is taking another step in its development at next week’s Bonner Springs Planning Commission meeting.
The commission will consider preliminary plat approval for The Villages, originally dubbed the Village at Deerfield, a 248-unit multi-family residential apartment project planned for 17 acres east of 132nd Street and south of Kansas Avenue.
The plat reflects a plan almost identical to the concept plan presented when the complex sought rezoning of the property early last year, a request that brought protests from nearby single-family homeowners. Residents were concerned about the increase in traffic on 132nd Street, a drop in their property values and the complex’s proximity to existing homes on the southeast end of the property.
One change on the plan is an exit-only roadway from the apartment complex to Kansas Avenue, so complex residents potentially could choose not to use 132nd Street when exiting the complex.
The preliminary plat, if approved, will keep the developments multi-family zoning in place. The next step would be a final plat, which also would be approved by the city council, before the final site plan, which only requires approval from the planning commission.
The commission’s meeting agenda is listed below.
Bonner Springs Planning Commission
Study session — 6 p.m.
Regular meeting — 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Jan. 22
City Hall, 204 E. 2nd St.
• Update on the 134th Street utility relocation project
• Discussion of proposed land use changes from the utility relocations
• Approval of the minutes of Oct. 23, 2012, meeting
• Public hearing for zoning ordinance amendment for sing regulations to increase the display times for temporary election signs from 30 to 45 days.
• Preliminary plat for The Villages, a 248-unit multi-family residential apartment project.
More like this story
- On the rise: Climbing wall helps boost pool attendance
- Downtown Bonner building owner seeks grant for improvements
- U.S. Soccer National Training Complex to begin construction by summer
- Bonner Springs Aquatic Center announces 'Doogie Poolooza'
- Bonner school board approves contract for BSHS theater improvements