August 25, 2015
Events reported this week in The Chieftain 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
10 Years Ago: Sept. 1, 2005
Archie Sanders received the Marion Vaughn Community Service Award given during the Mayor’s Banquet during Tiblow Days.
The Bonner Springs United Methodist Church announced plans for its annual fund-raising barbecue.
The Bonner Beautiful Commission float won the Mayor’s Trophy as the best entry in the Tiblow Days parade. Bonner Springs BPW was second.
The Basehor-Linwood soccer team defeated Mill Valley 6-4. James Bishop was shown in a photo battling for the ball.
25 Years Ago: Aug. 30, 1990
Roger Miller received the Marion Vaughn Community Service Award during the annual Tiblow Days celebration. The Bonner Beautiful Commission received the Mayor’s Trophy for having the top float in the parade.
Basehor-Linwood USD 458 voters rejected a $5.4 million bond issue with 1,648 voting “no” to 328 “yes” votes.
The Fun Valley Municipal Swimming Pool closed for the year. Total attendance was 11,709 swimmers.
Sandra Thomas joined the Chieftain-Sentinel staff as a reporter.
50 Years Ago: Aug. 26, 1965
Vice-President Hubert Humphrey was scheduled to be the featured speaker at the dedication of the Agricultural Hall of Fame.
Remodeling was started at White’s Department Store. The project included a new front and expanded floor space.
O. C. Antique Shoppe opened for business in Basehor.
Jerry Leanord was the Bonner Springs High School cross country coach. Coach Ray Cox said Bonner Springs would open the football season at Sumner.
100 Years Ago: Aug. 25, 1915
Mayor Stark appointed L. P. Kindred to the vacant position on the Bonner Springs City Council.
The Bonner Springs Merchants baseball team defeated Lake Forest 4-0.
Repair work was under way at the Edwardsville School. The project was expected to be completed before classes started.
Bonner Springs High School and Grade School were scheduled to open on Sept. 6. Superintendent C. C. Thompson reminded parents to purchase books and supplies before classes started.
Originally published at: http://www.bonnersprings.com/news/2015/aug/25/remember-when-aug-27-2015/