Archive for Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Kansas University student dies from bacterial meningitis

June 2, 2015

— Kansas health officials say a 19-year-old suburban Kansas City student at the University of Kansas has died of complications from a sinus infection, which led to bacterial meningitis.

The Kansas City Star reports Haley Drown of Leawood, Kansas, died on Sunday. She was a freshman at the university.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment said the public is not at risk and the agency is not recommending preventative care for those who had contact with Drown.

Len Lozada, a doctor at St. Luke's Health Systems, where Drown was treated, said she had a sinus infection that became more aggressive and eventually infected her brain. He said it is an uncommon form of bacterial meningitis.

Drown was a 2014 graduate of Blue Valley North High School.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.