Archive for Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Remember When for June 11, 2015

June 9, 2015

Events reported in The Chieftain this week 10, 25, 50 and 100 years ago.

10 Years Ago: June 9, 2005

The Basehor City Council approved hiring a full-time detective for the police force.

The SPICE (Special Programs In Creative Education) re-scheduled its flea market due to inclement weather.

Mr. and Mrs. Hurshell Surritte, 125 Oak Ave., won the yard of the month award from the Bonner Beautiful Commission.

Bonner Springs’ Chase Crouch won first team all-KVL honors while Tiffany Starks was named to the second team. Sadie Kelly received honorable mention. Chelsea Patton, Erin Store and Krystal Holland were Basehor-Linwood honorees.

25 Years Ago: June 14, 1990

Tammie Stinnett was appointed as city clerk for Edwardsville.

The Bonner Beautiful Commission presented its annual awards for outstanding efforts to beautify the community to Berkel and Company Construction and McDanield School.

The Basehor High School class of 1940 held its 50th reunion. Those attending were Hugh Ohler, Bert Morgan, Helen Johnson, Bill Johnson, Muir Pickenpaugh, Margaret DeFries, Helen DeNucci, Bill Walden, Glenn Knapp and Mabel White.

Phyllis Craven retired after nearly two decades as a school secretary for USD 204.

50 Years Ago: June 14-17, 1965

Basehor was incorporated as a city of the third class following a petition drive and approval by the Leavenworth County Commission.

Lois Ann Satterfield was the winner of the “Miss Bonner Springs” pageant. Vivian Stewart was runner up and Barbara Jean Sparks was chosen “Miss Congeniality.”

Lester A. White retired as postmaster of Edwardsville.

The Agricultural Hall of Fame officially opened with 500 persons in attendance.

100 Years Ago: June 10, 1915

The Bloomer Girls baseball team won’t be invited to play again in Bonner Springs. Two women stole the gate receipts of $25, which were to be divided. There were only two women on the team and the rest of the players were men wearing wigs.

J. W. Latz opened a photo studio in the David Building.

There were 303 in attendance at the Christian Church Sunday School and the offering totaled $70.20

Basehor teachers attended an institute in Leavenworth. Prof. Warren was one of the instructors.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.