May 29, 2015
The following are Basehor and Bonner Springs area residents recently recognized with various honors at their college or university.
• A Bonner Springs student was one of about 80 first-year students inducted into the Phi Eta Sigma honor society at Emporia State University during the spring 2015 semester.
Jessie Farnsworth, who is majoring in elementary education, met the requirements to join the national scholastic honor society for students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
• Also at Emporia State University, five area students were among the 1,000 candidates for graduation May 16.
Candidates for degrees from this area include: Rachelle Leigh Thoman, Bonner Springs, Master of Library Science degree with a concentration in librarianship for children/young adults; Brenda Leigh Mesmer, Bonner Springs, B.S. in Education degree in elementary education;Kyle Robert Savner of Basehor, B.S. in Education degree in physical education; Ashley Diane King of Bonner Springs, Bachelor of Interdisciplinary Studies degree; Iva Marie Powers of Linwood, Master of Education degree in teaching
• A Basehor resident was recently recognized during Upper Iowa University’s 30th annual Scholarships and Awards Recognition Banquet.
Brooke Redmond was awarded the Arneson Family Annual Scholarship, for which a student must be involved in intercollegiate athletics, and or a university club or organization. A further donor criterion requires that the recipient is a rising senior with a minimum GPA of 3.2, with preference given to the student that has a high level of attendance at a variety of university sporting events.
• Austin John Stubbs of Basehor is among 19 cadets in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Reserve Officer Training Corps who received military commissions in a ceremony May 9. Stubbs was one of eight cadets in Army ROTC to be commissioned second lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
• A Bonner Springs student was one of 338 who qualified for MidAmerica Nazarene University’s President's, Dean's List and Honor Roll for the spring 2015 semester.
Tyler McMahan was included on the Dean's List, which required a GPA from 3.5 to 3.99 and at least 12 semester hours.
• Rachael Jensen of Bonner Springs has been named to the Dean's List at Simpson University, Redding, Calif., for the spring 2015 semester.
Jensen is majoring in Psychology. To be eligible for the Dean's List, a student must have a semester grade-point average of 3.50 or higher.
• Amelia Sheldon, the daughter of Monique and Jim Sheldon of Bonner Springs, graduated Cum Laude from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minn., during a ceremony held on campus on May 16.
Sheldon, a Bonner Springs High School graduate, received a liberal arts degree in Asian Studies.
• Christopher Sifuentes of Bonner Springs was among the graduates at Creighton University in Omaha, Neb., during the university’s commencement ceremonies May 16.
Sifuentes graduated from the Heider College of Business with a Master of Business Administration.
• Katie Kobialka of Bonner Springs was recently initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation's oldest and most selective collegiate honor society for all academic disciplines. Kobialka was initiated at Emporia State University.
Membership is by invitation and requires nomination and approval by a chapter. Only the top 10 percent of seniors and 7.5 percent of juniors, having at least 72 semester hours, are eligible for membership.
• Three Bonner Springs students participated in graduation ceremonies May 9 at the University of St. Mary. They were Michael Bille, Master of Business Administration; Emma Vavricek, Bachelor of Science in Nursing; and Alicia Witt, Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude.
• Three local students were named to honor rolls for students completing at least 12 course hours during the spring semester at Pittsburg State University.
Haleigh Linden of Linwood, a sophomore in nursing, was named to the Dean’s Scholastic Honors list.
Timothy Stephens of Bonner Springs, a senior in construction management, was named to the All-A Scholastic Honors list.
Katelynn Witt of Basehor, a senior in exercise science, was named to the Dean’s Scholastic Honors list
To qualify for Dean’s Scholastic Honors, a student must have a GPA of 3.6 and no incompletes or grades lower than a B. To qualify for All-A Scholastic Honors, a students must have an A grade in all credit course work for the semester and no incompletes.
Originally published at: http://www.bonnersprings.com/news/2015/may/29/basehor-bonner-area-students-receive-collegiate-ho/